Wednesday, March 21, 2012

busy, busy, busy

Sometimes we go about life thinking we are too busy to read this book, or too busy to spend an afternoon out with a friend or family member, too busy to exercise, TOO BUSY. And of course, we often do have full lives and full schedules, but reading this article from the Wall Street Journal has changed my perspective—it kind of forces an honesty about what we actual spend our time doing. It is likely an article I will return to many more times.


By the end of the article the writer, Laura Vanderkam writes that it all comes down to the language we use... she writes: Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority," and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it's not a priority." "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently. Perhaps this tidbit will help us find what is most important in our lives, we just might be in for some surprises. 




Thanks to Joanna Goddard for posting this on her blog and to the writer, Laura Vanderkam, for writing a very important article; I think it is one we can all take to heart, one that will help us build better lives and become better people. 

No comments: