Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I've got a bit of catching up to do.

I thought it would be a good idea to (very briefly) review the past few weeks:


Ray and I set out to Huddersfield, UK on September 21st. We arrived here on the 22nd and stayed with friends, Ben & Jen, until we found ourselves a nice little terraced house to rent. Ray has started class and has been teaching, and I've been settling in, working on writing, exploring and researching MFA programs. I've also been trying quite a few new recipes (more on that later). 

This is the view from my room. 


One thing that has intrigued me since I've been here is the now overturned assumption that we use the English language in the same way. There is an obvious similarity in language, but it's tweaked just a bit. For example they often use "s" where we use "z;" apologise, cosy. Cookies are often called "Digestive Biscuits" because it was once thought that the sodium bicarbonate (or baking soda) aided in digestion. Pieces of fruit in jam or in orange juice are called "bits," so if looking for pulp-free orange juice, "No Bits" is the one you want. These are fun to come across, and I find the subtle differences in the use of language quite fascinating. (There will be more on this. . .)


Our indoor herbs.
We have chives, thyme and rosemary. 
I love house plants. 

2 comments:

nina said...

i'm so glad you started this blog! i love it already and your plants and you!

LAUREN said...

Hooray!!